While turkey may be seen as the main attraction for your family’s holiday meals, it’s the sides and desserts that truly make it a feast. Here are two simple side dishes you can impress your guests with this year.
Looking for ways to make your holiday feasts more sustainable? Swap your regular eggs for Burnbrae Farms Naturegg Solar Free Range eggs; made using 100 per cent clean energy at their solar-powered farm, making them among the most energy efficiently-produced eggs in Canada.
Festive Stuffing Bites
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Resting time: 10 minutes
Makes: 24 bites
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 tsp (10 ml) chopped fresh sage
- 2 tsp (10 ml) chopped fresh rosemary
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) pepper
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) chicken broth
- ¼ cup (50 ml) dried cranberries
- 4 cups (1 L) small cubes of day-old crusty bread
- 3 eggs
- Melt the butter in a large, non-stick skillet set over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, sage, rosemary, salt and pepper; sauté for 5 minutes or until fragrant and tender. Stir in the broth and cranberries; simmer for 2 to 3 minutes or until most of the fluid is absorbed. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 24-cup mini muffin pan well. Toss the cooled onion mixture with the bread and eggs until well combined. Divide the mixture between the mini muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 to 23 minutes or until bites are golden and set. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Serve warm.
Nutty, gooey and simply delicious. This traditional pie comes together in a snap.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 60-70 minutes
Makes: 8 servings
- 1 cup (250 ml) light or dark corn syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (225 g) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter, melted
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups (190 g) pecans
- 1 deep-dish pie shell, uncooked
- Place uncooked deep-dish pie shell on a cookie sheet.
- Spread pecans in the bottom of pie shell.
- Mix syrup, sugar, eggs, butter and vanilla with a spoon until blended.
- Pour mixture over pecans.
- Decorate top of pie with pecans if desired.
- Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 60 to 70 minutes.
Find more holiday recipes at burnbraefarms.com