(NC) Gift with love this holiday season by giving a homemade DIY gift to the special people in your lives. According to a recent survey, 63 per cent of Canadians say they would like to receive a DIY gift this holiday season. Furthermore, 45 per cent report homemade baked goods as a gift they’d like to receive, compared to the 19 who want store-bought baked goods.
Try this expert-tested and easy to make recipe that will ensure soft and chewy cookies, every time.
Anything Goes Cookie Dough Chocolate Peppermint Spiral Cookie
Prep time: 14 minutes
Freeze time: 24 hours
Cook time: 8 minutes
Makes: 36 cookies
• 2 1/2 cups (610 mL) all-purpose flour
• 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
• 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
• 1 cup (250 mL) Becel Buttery Taste margarine
• 1 cup (250 mL) firmly packed light brown sugar
• 1/4 cup (60 mL) granulated sugar
• 2 large eggs
• 1 tsp. (5 mL) vanilla extract
• 1/4 cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
• 1 tsp. (5 mL) peppermint extract
• 2 tbsp cocoa
• 20 hard peppermint candies, crushed
1. Combine 2 1/2 cups (610 mL) flour, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl; set aside.
2. Mix in eggs and vanilla extract until blended.
3. Gradually add in flour mixture; mix just until blended. Stir in additional 1/4 cup (60 mL) flour and peppermint extract.
4. Divide dough in half (about 1 2/3 cups). Stir cocoa powder into half and candies into the other half. Roll out cream dough between 2 sheets of parchment or wax paper into 10 x 16 inch rectangle. Repeat with cocoa dough.
5. Using parchment paper, place cream dough on top of cocoa dough, trimming excess so dough is even. Gently roll dough lengthwise into log, using the parchment paper to assist (dough will be soft). Make sure to not leave in any paper.
6. Carefully roll log into peppermint candies, using parchment paper to assist. Wrap log in parchment paper then plastic wrap. Place on cookie sheet and freeze 24 hours.
7. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Unwrap log and slice into 1/4 inch rounds, rotating the log 1/4 turn after each slice to maintain shape. Put dough back into freezer between batches. Place on ungreased cookie sheet — cookies might need to be reshaped into circles at this point.
8. Bake 7 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool cookies on sheets 2 minutes on wire rack; remove cookies from sheets and cool completely.