(NC) Are you looking for the perfect way to capture an island feeling, embrace warmer temperatures and cool down internal temperatures? Then you can look forward to creative variations on iced, slushed, and solid classic frozen and blended cocktails trending in the coming months. This includes the latest, chicest addition to any drink menu — the cocktail popsicle.
Elevate the traditional piña colada by blending fresh pineapple, coconut cream and limes and serving it in an unexpected way. You can eat these frozen pops alone, or add one to a cocktail recipe for a funky, conversation-starting beverage. Bold ginger beer and dark rum round out the delicious flavours in this grown-up piña colada.
The Modern Piña Colada
Makes 1 cocktail and 10 popsicles
• 3 cups (750 mL) fresh pineapple rings, cored and chopped
• 1 can (400 mL) coconut cream
• 2 tsp (10 mL) lime zest
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
• 4 oz Crabbie’s Original Alcoholic Ginger Beer
• 1/4 oz dark rum
1. Blend pineapple rings and coconut cream until fairly smooth. Add lime zest and juice. Blend until mixed.
2. Pour mixture into 10 popsicle molds that each hold about 1/3 cup (80 mL). Freeze until firm.
3. Pour Crabbie’s ginger beer into a chilled rocks glass. Stir in rum. Add one prepared popsicle. Repeat immediately with remaining pops, Crabbie’s and rum if you’re serving a crowd, or save the pops for yourself for another day.
Tip: For a fun tropical flair, garnish with Tiki-inspired elements like umbrellas or edible flowers.
For more recipe inspiration, visit @CrabbiesCanada on Twitter or Instagram.