Keeping your teeth and mouth healthy requires more than just daily brushing, flossing and rinsing. Did you know that the food and beverage choices you make have an impact on your oral health? The more sugar you eat, the worse off your teeth will be. Sugar-rich food and beverages contribute to the erosion of tooth enamel and increase the risks of tooth decay.
As your partners in prevention, dental hygienists offer simple tips to keep your mouth and body healthy:
• Make water your beverage of choice.
• Eat foods from all four food groups.
• Avoid sugary snacks, carbonated beverages, and chewy, sticky foods.
• Brush twice a day for two minutes each time.
• Clean between your teeth and use an antiseptic mouthwash daily.
During your next appointment, ask your dental hygienist about healthy food and beverage choices so that your smile remains bright for a lifetime. Find more tips and information at www.dentalhygienecanada.ca.