Although all cosmetics sold in Canada must meet safety and clean manufacturing requirements, keeping them safe after you buy them means following some important steps.
To prevent the growth of germs in your cosmetics, Health Canada recommends that you:
- Wash your hands with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds before putting on your makeup.
- Do not share your makeup or use anyone else’s.
- Do not add water or saliva to your makeup to dilute it.
- Store your cosmetics in a dry place, away from direct heat and sunlight.
- Stop using makeup if it changes in smell, colour or feel.
- Check the label of your makeup for safety information. Always read and follow directions carefully – misuse of a product can lead to problems like rashes, burns or eye damage.
- Do not spray cosmetics near a flame or source of heat, which can cause fires or explosions.
- Keep cosmetics out of the reach of children.
- If a child swallows a cosmetic, contact the nearest poison control centre.
Find more information at canada.ca